Part-Time Education Facilitator
Open Date: June 14, 2019
Close Date: September 14, 2019
Fermilab is America's premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermilab's Education Office is seeking a Part-Time Education Facilitator. The number of hours worked are not guaranteed and on-call employees must work less than 1,000 hours per year. This is not a full-time position.
- Conduct guided tours and educational field trips of the lab's facilities and ecosystems of the Fermilab site. Inform visitors about Fermilab.
- Offer historical and current information about particle physics research projects, Lab environmental projects and architecture.
- Serve as an informal goodwill ambassador for the Lab. Deal skillfully with diverse visitors under a variety of circumstances.
- Open the Lederman Science Center to the public on occasional Saturdays. Perform storekeeping duties.
- Engage visitors in hands-on science activities at annual events two Sundays per year.
- Stay informed about particle physics research, Lab research contributions and activities and environmental projects.
- Arrange substitutes for scheduled shifts in cases of absence.
- Attend training sessions.
- May assist with preparing instructional materials for programs, projects or tours.
- May assist with special projects or events.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Education Facilitator Coordinator.
- Abide by and be responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
- Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor's degree with relevant work experience.
- Bi-lingual, a plus.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans are encouraged to apply.