Lead Program Management Specialist: Event Planner (AA/S Ex I), College of Continuing Education (CCE) (519041)
Working Title: Lead Program Management Specialist: Event Planner
Classification Title: Administrative Analyst/Specialist Exempt I
Priority Application Date (Posting will remain open until filled): Monday, April 17, 2023 @ 11:55 PST
Please note: As of April 3, 2023, this position has been reposted and is under active recruitment. Apply today! (Prior applicants need not re-apply.)
Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2,5,7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Under the general direction of the senior staff of the Organizational Excellence & Leadership revenue center at the College of Continuing Education (CCE), the Lead Program Management Specialist is responsible for leading the planning and the delivery of educational services and programs for employers and organizations, including conferences, trainings, events, and other in-person and virtual education projects. The Lead Program Management Specialist is responsible for leading project planning; monitoring and evaluating project execution; tracking the progress and document outcome for reporting; and leading unit-wide initiatives and improvement projects.
The incumbent is part of the Organizational Excellence & Leadership revenue center with over 40 staff that aims to provide transformative opportunities for clients to solve organizational challenges by providing educational services and programs that lead to actionable solutions and sustainable outcomes. A commitment to quality and to providing the highest level of customer service possible are also requisites for this position.
FLSA: Exempt (Not eligible for overtime compensation)
CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,170 - $7,545 per month
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,170 - $6,300 per month, commensurate with candidate's education, experience, skills, and training.
Salary Grade/Range: 2
Recruitment Type: Temporary (Annually Renewable)
Time Base: Full-Time
Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM; work hours may vary dependent on department operations
The College of Continuing Education (CCE) extends the mission of the university by increasing access for non-traditional learners. With a primary expertise on serving adult learners, CCE provides programs and services to individuals and employers year-round, unbound by traditional semester schedules and formats. CCE serves a hybrid student body that extends beyond California, serving over 80,000 learners annually through in-person, hybrid and fully online workshops, courses, conferences, certificate and degree programs.
For more information, visit the Sacramento State, College of Continuing Education website at https://cce.csus.edu/about-cce
Entry to this classification requires general knowledge and skills in the applicable administrative and/or program field with a foundational knowledge of public administration principles, practices, and methods. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Experience in both in-person and virtual conference and event planning, delivery, and pre- and post-event management
- Experience in independent performance and responsibility for the planning, coordination, and completion of comprehensive in-person and virtual conferences and trainings
- Experience in using Microsoft Office products (or equivalent programs for word processing, spreadsheets, and slideshow), virtual meeting platforms, and other project management databases and/or software
- Experience in assessing needs from clients and determining feasibility of meeting those needs based on budget and available resources
- Experience in monitoring project budgets
- Experience in reviewing and negotiating facility/venue contracts
- Experience in providing lead work direction
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Project management and organizational skills in leading the planning and coordination of complex conferences, events, and/or training activities that involve many different tasks, competing priorities and timelines, and deliverables
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret, organize, and present information and ideas in written or presentation form
- Skills and abilities to provide project leadership or represent the work unit on key projects within and outside the organization
- Considerable judgment and discretion reflective of a thorough knowledge of a professional conference or project manager, with policies and practices referenced for guidance
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills with exceptional attention to detail in order to effectively interact with all levels of staff and external constituencies
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work to meet clients' needs and to continue to improve internal capacity and abilities
- Understanding of and experience being quality oriented and customer centric (detailed, accurate, thorough, timely, meets deadlines, dependable, responsive, proactive)
- Project budget management and expense tracking skills
- Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction
- Ability to work in evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to travel statewide, including overnight stays, to support the essential functions of the position
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to pass background check
- Seven plus (7+) years of experience in conference and/or event planning
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline, or completion of certificates or training in meeting or event planning
- Certification in the Meeting Planning Industry and/or completion of conference planning coursework
- Experience with online platforms for synchronous conference and training delivery
- Experience working in a financially self-support organization
Documents Needed to Apply
Resume, cover letter, and three professional references. Failure to upload these documents to the online application may result in disqualification.
About Sac State
Sacramento State is located in the heart of California's capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the "Farm-to-Fork Capital," is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State's 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: " As California's capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement. " As the regional hub of higher education, Sac State is dedicated to student success , diversity, equity and inclusion , community engagement , philanthropy , and campus safety .
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code , Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State ? page.
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. One variation of background check required could be a LiveScan screening, which involves submitting fingerprints at a certified LiveScan Service Center.
COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information:
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy , it is strongly recommended that all California State University, Sacramento employees who are accessing office and campus facilities follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications.
Out of State Employment Policy
Sacramento State University, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees (up)on date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/internal/your-hr/benefits/reasonable-accomodation.html .
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/compliance/hr-compliance/mandatory-dhr-training.html .
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Selected candidate must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States. California State University, Sacramento is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1-B Visa).
Note to Applicants:
Possession of the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview unless required by collective bargaining agreement.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled