INTERNSHIP- Environment Education Intern
This is a paid internship for a minimum of 20 hours per week (and up to 40 hrs)
fromMay - September 2020.
KITSAP COUNTY INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Kitsap County supports internship programs that provide work experience for students in an accredited post-secondary institution that is related to their course of study. The internship program is designed so that the student will have the opportunity to apply principals and theories learned in the classroom, gain new skills, explore a career path and be supervised and mentored by a professional in their field.
Environmental Education Internship Description:
The Education and Outreach Teamin the County Public Works Department is seeking motivated individuals for summer intern positions in the Solid Waste Division. The successful intern will learn to assistwith the implementation of waste reduction and recycling, hazardous waste collection and municipal solid waste disposal programs. Daily tasks and opportunities will be focused on promoting proper usage of the solid waste system, community behavior change and public awareness of the Solid Waste Divisions initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Minimum Qualifications :
- Must be able to show proof of enrollment in a post-secondary institution at the time of internship. If the internship occurs during the summer, the student may provide proof of summer or fall enrollment.
Desired Majors and Class Level:
- Environmental Studies (environmental science, policy or education), Public Administration, Communication or Education
- Freshman(1y completed)- Senior(4y or higher)
Knowledge and Abilities to Obtain Over the Course of the Internship:
Increase Intern Knowledge of:
- Extensive public interactions including; event staffing and door-to-door outreach and addressing citizen questions
- How to interpret and manipulate data
- How to measure project progress and success
- Field assessments of recycling and disposal receptacles
- Administering customer surveys and analyzing the data
- Researching projects pertaining to policy and other programs
- Assisting staffwith business recycling technical assistance and in-house recycling programs
Increase Intern Ability to:
- Communicate effectively both written and orally withcommunity membersand County departments;
- Assist with daily reports and quality tracking
- Work effectively in stressful situations;
- Work with supervisors of different groups to solve problems affecting project progress;
- Work independently or with limited supervision;
- Handle many priorities at one time and accomplish tasks in a timely manner.
- Understand basic marketing concepts
- Intern will receive supervision from an administrative superior as assigned.
- Work is performed in accordance with established policies and accepted practices.
- Work is reviewed through status reports, meeting and observations.
- The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position and submit a copy a current driving record/abstract (from state of residency) to review for eligibility to drive for Kitsap County prior to employment.The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as:
- Category 1: Driver operates County-owned vehicle.
Criminal Conviction Standards:
- The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised access to children under 18 years of age, a vulnerable adult, or a vulnerable person, or access to a secured/confidential facility or computer system(s). As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, which may include fingerprinting.
- Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Applications will be screened as they are received.
Positions in the classification are:
- Covered by the Kitsap County Extra Help Policy
- Classified as eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Closing Date/Time: 3/31/2020 11:59 PM Pacific